Saturday, July 24, 2004

911 Panel says: we are not safe, 90210 panel says: duh, Devo says: are we not men?

It's been a long time since I blogged my soul. I'll try my best to recap (no, not decap-been there, done that (see blogs of yor). When last you saw Rollo Manhattan in Manhattan, he was fessing up to a blog blunder. That particular entry got more feedback than most on here in fact. Here's one anon response: "I read today's blog and I thought it was really great. I don't know whose feelings you hurt in your blog but if I were the particular friend, I would forgive you. In fact, I give you permission to slam me hard in your blog
sometime. Friendships are complex truces between two naturally egotistical egos and venting is natural & healthy... I also liked your analysis of Randy Johnson & Pedro Martinez & Curt Schilling (?) (I can't remember the third pitcher exactly) and how you
called them "offensive" pitchers who provoke batters. Terrific. Did you come up with that analysis yourself?". Yup, all by my lonesome...

Anyway, now on to new things. It's not easy to recap, as I find that when I try to do that I tend to scatter ideas all over the place-which isn't bad if ideas are like basehits, and you're a pitcher who scatters them throughout a game and the opposing team just never seems to get them in a clutter (and thus score runs), but it's bad if you're that tough luck team, and I generally liken these types of entries to being like one of those teams. I'll do my best though, whether my best is good enough or not... here goes: I don't think I mentioned in my last blog about the Siren Fest in Coney Island, which I managed to attend for the duration of 3 bands only (as I didn't show up until 330pm and I had work at 6pm). In short, I saw sections of 3 band sets; those of The Constantines, TV on The Radio and The Fever. Of course I wanted to see Mission of Burma and Death Cab, but couldn't, and I've seen Blonde Redhead many times (I know Simone) and they most likey would've been fantastic as usual, and ATWKUBT Trail of Dead I've seen too, and I'm sure they would have thrown down as they're more than able. Here are my thoughts on those acts that I did catch: The Constantines were consistantly a yawner, The Fever had absolutely no fever pitch to speak of-a big disapointment live, as their cd sounds pretty good, but TV on the Radio? Hell, they exceeded my expectations by far, and have that special something which will def. make them go far, even if they're tabbed the Living Colour of Indie Rock or something stupid like that...

I don't need to comment on my 911 panel header as that whole fiasco speaks for itself. I will say though that I saw Devo last night with Stellastar* and The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and they were absolutely f*cking phenomenal. Even with the downer downpour all day up to the show and the rain-on-cue as soon as they finished their final encore, Devo delivered-o. I for one never thought I'd see these guys live, and here they were, these fat 50 year old guys w/ receding hairlines decked out in torn and frayed yellow jumpsuits whipping it into shape and the crowd into a frenzy. They rocked, harder than most bands I've seen in ages. People forget that, unlike Kraftwerk, Devo was a guitar band first and foremost. It was unreal seeing their cross generational fans too with flower pot hats chanting along, and a surreal scene afterwards to be sure as we all moved in a cluster f*ck all happy and content under umbellas singing Devo tunes as the sky opened up something fierce on us. All these fake looking yuppysiders stared in awe at the spectacle of the throngs of Devotees making their collective way to the subway. It could have been like the Who concert circa '78 if we weren't all so damn satisfied after seeing Devo sing that they can't get no satisfaction. There was only one unfortunate part of the concert (only because it made those who saw it laugh at the band, as opposed to laugh along with it), that was when one of Devo-after they'd stripped into their black shorts, high sox and knee pad soccer player ensemble-started bopping up and down to the degree that his shlong and ball package fell out of his shorts and flapped along like a wet sock in the wind. It was funny b/c Sara (my friend with whom I attended the concert) had just said to me "his shorts are way too short". They were, in relation to those worn by the other bandmembers, but just as I was about to take umbridge with her comment and say that those Umbro-style short shorts were all the rage back when, out popped this Devo dong and donut duo... and then again... and then again. Anyway, enough of that. Devo rocked man, shwance appearance or no shwance appearance, as did Karen O and co. before them (we didn't get there in time wo see Stellastar*, but I'd seen them a couple months back at Irving and they blew me away). We went to the Devo afterparty afterwards and I managed to give a Rollo cd to a beaming Karen O, who told me she'd listen to it pront-o. I kissed her on the cheek and told her I was in love with her (not really, I mean I did kiss her, and I do love her, but i didn't tell her). I also gave a cd to the Cure-esque guitarist of Stellastar*, who laughed as he read the blurb "Holy f*ckin' sheep shit, contains 2 extra tracks!!!" that I'd affixed to our 3 song cds... Anyway, very cool evening...

I'm going to end this entry here and start another, as I'm afraid I'm about to lose all I've written to the self-refresh that seems to happen to my shit computer after I write for long periods of time like this. Talk soon-RM

No comments: