Saturday, July 31, 2021

Motherf--kin' Phil Schaap man.

Listening to Phil Schaap. This is his 51st year DJing on WKCR. Crazy. I remember hearing him on hot summer days, while with my Dad when I was 12 years old, talk endlessly about Bix Beiderbecke, Fats Waller and Benny Goodman, and here I am now at age ___ listening to him do just that, still. My Dad made cassettes of his shows and I still have a few that are over 40 years old. How could he possibly have anything new to say on air after all these years? It blows my mind he’s still doing it. Time is an amazing thing man. Sometimes we get so caught up in the here and now that we take for granted the endless stream of time… and Phil Schaap. Phil Schaap is relative. Not a relative, but the continuum of this man is a phenomenon in itself… Now stop blabbering and play some music already, Phil.

No comments: